Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oven Roasted Vegetables

This recipe has become a favorite of mine. It is a great way to get in lots of yummy veggies. And it's healthy! I have made the recipe as it is described but I have also added different vegetables, depending on what is in season or what I have available to me. Eggplant, mushrooms, vidalia onions, asparagus, green peppers... the list goes on. I say, add what you like!


Oven Roasted Vegetables
Ingredients:
1 medium zucchini
1 medium summer squash
1 medium red bell pepper
1 medium yellow bell pepper
1 lb fresh asparagus
1 red onion, chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cut zucchini, summer squash, red pepper, yellow pepper and asparagus into bite-size pieces.
3. Put all vegetables in a large roasting pan, and toss with the oil, salt and black pepper.
4. Spread in a single layer.
5. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are lightly browned and tender.


This is the "before roasting" picture from the last time I made these vegetables. My favorite part of the dish is the way the red onions taste after roasting. Instead of the super-strong flavor they have when raw, the oven roasting makes them quite sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment