Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake

I've had several requests for chocolate cake over the past few months and I always go back to the same recipe. It's the one located on the back of Hershey's baking cocoa. And it truly is "perfectly chocolate". If you like chocolate, you will LOVE this cake.

My twist on the cake, though, is that I make it with 3 layers, so this recipe contains those modifications. If you are looking to make either a one layer cake, a bundt cake or a three layer cake with 8" pans, see the original recipe (http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184)

**WARNING** This cake is extremely rich. The three-layered cake can serve many people because a small slice goes a long way. Make sure to have milk to enjoy with your cake. You'll need it!

HERSHEY'S PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
2-1/4 + 3/8 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 + 3/8 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1-1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cup boiling water

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with icing.

PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
Ingredients:
1 cup (2 stick) butter or margarine
1-1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
6 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions: Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
I make sure to put ample amounts of icing between each of the layers.
I also make sure that the initial layer of frosting that covers the cake is a thin layer. This is so the crumbs (if there are any) stick in that first layer and don't mess with the final presentation of the cake.

The pink and brown cake was the request of 2 young ladies at work for their birthday. I think the pink sprinkles go great with the color of the chocolate buttercream frosting.



This cake was requested by the Aunt of my friend Allison. Her favorite color is green and she asked that I label her piece so that no one else would take it. This was the best that I could do with the tools that I had available to me.

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to that cake being very rich and serving lots of people. The one with Aunt Linda's piece outlined on it served about twenty people in my family, and we are hogs.

    ReplyDelete