Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sauteed Chicken with Herbed Soba

I'm always up for trying something new. So when I got my most recent issue of Everyday Food (thanks to Laksany!), I knew this was one of the recipes I wanted to try. It calls for soba noodles, which I have never used before.

For those that aren't familiar with them, soba noodles are native Japanese noodles made of buckwheat flour and wheat flour. They are about as thick as spaghetti and are used in various hot and cold dishes. Did you know it is considered polite to slurp your noodles noisily in Japan?

Sauteed Chicken with Herbed Soba


4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
1 cup fresh parsley
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 ounces chicken cutlets
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 package (8.8 ounces) soba noodles

1. In a food processor, finely chop scallions, cilantro, parsley, garlic and ginger with vinegar and 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer to a bowl.

2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Season chicken with cayenne, salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook, turning once, until opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let cool 5 minutes and thinly slice.

3. Cook soba noodles according to package instructions. Drain; toss with herb mixture. Serve chicken with soba noodles; garnish with cilantro.

Yield 4 servings.

douzo omeshiagari kudasai
(Enjoy your food/meal)

No comments:

Post a Comment